Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A 36 Kilometer Greenway Bicycle Ride

A 36 Kilometer Greenway Bicycle Ride

A beautiful September day, temperature in the low 70s.  Gentle breeze, blue skies.  Perfect for a bike ride.

Here are the stats: Note:  The route URL below bit off since I actually rode around Shelly Lake first rather than last, as is indicated by the distance markers.

Route .... http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6087465
Time ...... 2 Hours 20 Minutes
Distance .. 36 Kilometers
Speed ..... 15 Kilometers Per Hour (18 Not Counting Rests)

I rode down Yadkin Drive to where it crosses Crabtree Creek and then traveled up the greenway to where Crabtree Creek and Lead Mine Creek join and followed the greenway up Lead Mine Creek to Shelly Lake.  

I rode around the east side of Shelly Lake and followed the greenway up Lead Mine Creek to Longstreet and Bent Creek Road where I turned around.  I rode back down the greenway to Shelly lake and rode around the west side and continued down the greenway following Lead Mine Creek to where it joins Crabtree Creek.

I then followed the greenway up Crabtree Creek to Crabtree Valley Mall and then up Blue Ridge Road to where the Horse Creek greenway starts.  I rode the Horse Creek greenway to where it ends, at the bicycle bridge over I440 near Wade Avenue.  

Then I rode across the bicycle bridge over I440 and on up to the North Carolina Art Museum.  I followed the bike paths around the art museum to Blue Ridge Road and took Blue Ridge Road back down the hill to Crabtree Valley Mall area.

I then rejoined the greenway and followed it up Crabtree Creek to its end where I had my banana a drink of waster and started back down the greenway.  I followed the greenway back to where Crabtree Creek and Lead Mine Creek come together and headed down the greenway toward I440.  Instead of going back to Yadkin Drive I decided to climb the hill up to North Hills Park, and extraordinarily steep climb.  They had just finished repaving the greenway up that hill and part of the asphalt was already starting to creep back down the hill.  Once out of North Hills Park I got back on Davidson Street and was only two blocks from home.

Here are some pictures I took along the way:

At the Shelly Lake dam.


Shelly Lake Dam


Crossing the bike bridge over I440


NC Art Museum Grounds

NC Art Museum Grounds


NC Art Museum Grounds


At northern most point of Crabtree Creek Trail



No comments:

Post a Comment